Sunday 28 October 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Toppings

 
Hi! I am finally putting my hands together for baking again. I’m baking red velvet cupcakes this time. By the way, the picture above is a picture taken when I was enjoying the red velvet cupcakes that was bought by my colleague. I really like the taste of the mild cocoa flavour in it and the “red” coloured cake texture that is so attractive to me. Therefore I decided to try baking these red velvet cupcakes myself.


I took the recipe from a few websites and try adjusting some ingredient according to my favour and have some minor changes in it. This is a picture of my after all work.

And yes, I did place a Chef Monchhichi for my photography session later. Hope is not really that distracting. LOL!! Anyway I am glad that the result came out to be perfect as the red is still red, the cocoa flavour can be taste in the cake and the cream cheese topping doesn't turn out to be watery. I am giving myself a grade “A” job done. ;p


Aaahaa!! Before I started with the bakery, I went for a shopping at the grocery and these were what I bought for the bakery session.

By the way, I bought this 1/3 less fat Cream Philadephia Cheese for the toppings.

Do you all trust that it is really less fat? I am just trying to make myself feel better that I am not taking in a full fatty cream cheese into my stomach so I decided to take this 1/3 less fat cream cheese. By right they have one with fat free but I don't really believe that it’s really “fat free” so just took the 1/3 less fat rather than the original one. If you have difficulties in choosing, just to let you know that all three are the same price. LOL! 

Here are some of the pictures taken during my baking session:-




Hope you guys enjoy the recipe below and try baking it during your free time!

Red Velvet Cupcakes:
130g plain flour, to be sifted
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
15g cocoa powder, to be sifted
57g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g castor sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
120 ml buttermilk
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cream Cheese Frosting:
113g cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
150g icing sugar
113g cream cheese

Method:-
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line 16 paper cupcake liners.

2) In a large bowl sift together the plain flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.

3) In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.

4) In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

5) In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.

6) Working quickly, divide the batter evenly among the 16 paper cupcake cups and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 - 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.

7) Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes and them remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting.

Enjoy your day!

Bye!
v(=^-^=)v

 

No comments:

Post a Comment